Friday, February 27, 2009

Bragging Rights

There was a contest. But first there was {or rather is} a test. It's called the T.A.K.S. test. And you need to pass it in order to advance to the next grade. Starting in third grade. This is our first year having to deal with the Test. I am now convinced that they do nothing in third grade except prepare for the Test. The homework is practice tests, the school work is practice tests, recesses are skipped to take practice tests. It is a big deal. {Although, on a side note, I don't think it should be such a big deal since it seems that all learning except for T.A.K.S. learning is on hold.}

So - There was a contest. This contest was to design a picture for the T.A.K.S. test. The winning drawing would be made into a shirt for the children to wear on Test day. The art teacher picked one drawing from each of the five third grade classes. Then the students got to vote on which drawing they liked the best. Sam was one of the five drawings. Much to his devastation, he was not the winning drawing. The winning design said "Rip the T.A.K.S." and showed a test booklet being ripped in half. {I think the kids probably voted for that one because they were so sick of all the T.A.K.S.ing that they wanted to rip up the test!}

I know I am speaking from a mother's perspective, the artist's mother's perspective, but I think Sam's drawing is great. It's creative. It's fun. And it's aggressive enough without the gory details {which I'm sure would have been included if it weren't a school project.}

Good luck on the test Sam. I hope you slay the T.A.K.S.!

4 comments:

karin said...

Excellent drawing. Good luck with the Test.

I am not looking forward to the standardized tests for my boys.

Paul said...

If only boys had voted, Sam wins.

As a former teacher I can tell you that your observations about the TAKS is right on.

Kirst said...

Very immaginative. Sam is very talented and creative...I miss him and the other primary kids.

Cheryl said...

Great drawing! I love the way he visualized the whole attitude. He wins in my book! Good luck on the test, Sam!!