Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Mother's Right {OR} The Cycle is Repeated

When I was in the third grade, I had bad hair . . . it still pains me to talk about it. My mother liked to curl my hair with her hot curlers.

{A short bob cut + a million hot curlers = bubble hair.}

My hair stuck out like an inner tube around my head. To make matters worse, my mom knew her way around a can of hair spray. That bubble hair stayed in one place ALL day long. I got a lot of compliments about my hair - you know, the kind of compliments only 9 year old kids can make. The hairstyle of '86 still haunts me. I'm sure my mom had my best interests in mind. She was only trying to add some volume to my practically bald head. And I'm sure she thought it looked good. It wasn't her fault that she wasn't privy to the Turnagain Elementary fashion world.

Relevance?

I'm sure, years from now, Eliana will tell me that I scarred her for life because of all the silliness I insisted on putting in her hair. But in my defense, the flower is so obnoxiously large, it's cute. So without further ado, may I present for your viewing pleasure
Eliana at 13 months





6 comments:

TonyaKuykendall said...

You know that in 15 years she is going to be hiding all of the photo albums so none of her friends will see the HUGE flower on her head... lol I'm still trying to remember where I hid all the unbelievably horrid pictures of me....

Cheryl said...

I kind of like it on the side, but it is really out there on the top of her head! She is such a cutie!!

IF you think you had a bad hair year, you should see my pictures!!

BiggDogg said...

That thing is GINORMOUS!
I'm going to need to see a pic of that hairstyle you had. Just to make sure it's as bad as you say.
-L

EmmaTheJane said...

You see? That's what I'm afraid of. If I come and make bows with you, my children will be damaged, not only emotionally and psychologically, but also physically due to the weight the bows will place on their necks.

Rachel White said...

Emma,

I think the emotional and psychological damage a bow-wearing boy would endure would far out shadow the pain said bow would cause his neck. I may be wrong . . . but that's what I think. :)

Rachel

Michele said...

It looks somewhat like the reflector things doctors used to wear on their heads back in the old days. Never be afraid to embarrass your kids. Embarrassment makes us all stronger and serves to enhance our resilience, speaking to the grounded, confident persons we are meant to become.