Friday, January 09, 2009

Yesterday was my birthday.

I turned thirty something again.

I don't really have a problem with getting older.

I have a problem with my age getting older.

I wouldn't mind being 40, if forty were spelled "twenty-five".

So to numb the pain of aging, I'm going to make public some glorious photos of my youth.

{Warning: staring too long at some of these hairstyles may cause blindness.}

My first birthday. No hair to mess up.

Kindergarten - No brush to fix messy hair.

First Grade - Shortly after my sister practiced her scissor skills on my bangs.

Third Grade. If you need an explanation of this hair, see here.

Fourth Grade - I really loved this outfit, especially the earrings.

Fifth Grade - In my defense, pictures were after lunch and both recesses. What kind of genius schedule is that?

Sixth Grade - I actually look presentable. Who knew?

Seventh Grade - All I can say is that I'm sorry you had to see that. In my defense, I was really smart, just not in the fashion sense.

Eighth Grade - Ahhhh, my first perm. Yes!

Ninth Grade - Gotta love the bangs and the shirt buttoned to the top.

10th Grade - Looking at that hair is painful to me.

11th Grade - We have a winner! I guess 16 was a good age for me.

12th Grade - Here we have the obligatory Senior Glamor Shots.
Fan-Freakin'-Tastic!

My first year of college brought out my alter ego we named Beth. She also was hair challenged.

After awhile, I just gave up and hid my hair under a blanket.

This has nothing to do with hair. But by my second year of college, I learned that hair doesn't matter - having your picture taken in strange spots on BYU campus does.

I also discovered that embracing your inner nerd is a great way to excuse bad hair.

Just so you don't think I'm hopeless, here is one where my hair is at least presentable.

I may be old, but at least my hair ages well.

8 comments:

wurtz said...

Happy Birthday Rachel! Great pictures;)

karin said...

I am glad you are brave enough to share your school pictures, I am not. I never realized how much your kids look like you.

Happy 'twenty-fifth' Birthday!

Cheryl said...

You are and have always been adorable!! You forget that your hair might look kind of wakky to you now, but it was stylin' back in the day!

I hope that you had a wonderful birthday!!

Lots of love!!

TonyaKuykendall said...

What I find so funny is that apart from the face I have the EXACT same 7th grade picture. Complete with Jean overalls.... SCARY... But at least your "classed" yours up with a broach....

Too fun to see you grow up.. Too bad (for you) that I'm not that brave.. You'd lose 10 lbs just by laughing so much...

I also agree with Karin. The kids really do look like you...

Zoe said...

Happy Birthday Rachel!! I love the hair pictures. You are very brave! LOL! Actually, I have some that are much much worse (such as my Micheal Jackson hair phase in 5th grade - ugh!)

I am glad that you came to visit me. :) As for my secret, I use high volumes of cough syrup to drug my children to sleep during the day . . . he he he. :)

eliana23 said...

Wow. You are in a good stage right now I can honestly say. :) Most pictures of my hair history are top secret, so I am very proud of you. Happy 32.

J & M Shumate Family said...

Cute post...HAPPY BELATED BDAY! BTW, I love 3rd grade.....

mistyp said...

I'd like to copy what Karin said. :) And add...your boys really do look tons like you!