Wednesday, April 29, 2009

In need of Expert Mothers

This is not what toilet training looks like at our house.

At our house, Nicholas refuses to give up his pull-ups. He won't sit on the potty willingly . . . though I do make him sit on it in the hope that something will happen by chance. He won't wear real underpants. If I try to put him in underwear, he screams and walks around the house bow-legged. I've even tried Emma's trick of making him go naked. He just laid on the floor with a look of terror on his face, screaming for his pull-ups. It was the best hour I've had all week.

Sam and Benjamin were so easy to train. They picked out a toy. We hung it on the bathroom wall and told them they could have it when they peed in the potty for one week. One week later, they had their toy and were pull-up free. Nicholas, not so much.

My pediatrician is no help. He just tells me that Nicholas will go in his own time, when he's ready. Well, at $40/box for pull-ups, my wallet is telling me he's ready! I've tried bribery - he doesn't care. I've tried withholding treats - he doesn't care. I've tried begging - he doesn't care. Are you sensing a pattern here?

I need help!

Perhaps I can ship Nicholas to Thailand, where it seems they can toilet train anything.

6 comments:

karin said...

I am not an expert. That being said, I would let him scream for 2 hours. I had Austin naked in the backyard, on my tile floor for a couple days and then it was over. The toy worked for Adam but not for Austin (he picked candy at Disneyland instead of a toy but really he didn't care).
My kids are better for other people, you could send him here.

Good luck.

The Wards said...

Maybe if you play up the positives of being a big boy he will crack. Try to explain to him how he can be like his big brothers and how that is so cool compared to being like his baby sister. You could even threaten to take away the pull ups and give him baby diapers again? Maybe thats taking it too far. My mom did this crazy thing where she fed us lots of salty nuts and chips as a reward everytime we even just sat on the potty. It causes you to be really thirsty and we drank lots so we had lots of opportunities to go. Ifyou use the nuts and chips as rewards and then juice or whatever is the favorite drink on the go, there will be more opportunities. You have to sit on the pot like every 15 minutes so they eat and drink more. I think that its worth a try. But every child is different and you can't predict what will work. Can you?

Good luck!

Watts Family said...

I hate to say it, but as a mom of some very stubborn kids (a sad result of being the kids of very stubborn parents) you may just have to wait until he's ready OR put up with the screaming fits he'll throw.

Both my girls have been hard to train (I can't tell you the number of times Popcorn ran off and did her business in the closet- gross!). I've found that you have to pick your battles. Some things just aren't worth the fight. If you decide to forge ahead then be prepared for a fight and stick to your guns. Otherwise wait until he's decided it's time. Sorry, I know you want some better method, best of luck!

wurtz said...

From past experience I've tried forcing and it backfires. As hard as it is, I'm for waiting until they are ready. And I'm learning BOYS are much harder than GIRLS. Maybe Ellie will potty train before Nicholas. OOO maybe that's it...maybe you should have Nicholas help potty train Ellie and through him being the example he'll become potty trained. Two birds with one stone kind of thing. Could work...maybe.

Stamp With Linz said...

I used to think potty trained children were a myth. Ava it took positive reinforcement. With Sydnee, I told her that I wasn't going to buy pull-ups anymore, and that she could pick out her own panties...and it worked...well mostly, perfectly potty-trained IS a myth. :)

EmmaTheJane said...

Step One:Leave Ellie at friend's house
Step Two: Buy earplugs
STep Three: Strip him naked
STep four:Wait. It will probably help if you purchase, "Robert PAttinson's Unofficial Biography", to read. (Robert Pattinson plays Edward for those who don't know)
Nothing could be more pleasant than learning fake Edward's favorite colors, cars, and foods.