Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hawaii

For Valentine's day, Josh surprised me with a trip to Hawaii. We had to wait for his schedule to clear, so we didn't go until last week. It was fabulous! We spent five days on the island of Molokai. It's a smaller island - no stop lights, no chain restaurants, one grocery store - island living at it's best. We had a condo right on the beach - it was perfect!

We had fresh mangos and pineapple. We had macadamia nuts right from the tree. We walked the beach for hours every morning. We drove through a rainforest (and I freaked out when the one lane road dirt road high on the mountain had no guard rails to protect us from the bazillion mile drop). We saw whales as we sat on the beach. We saw a Hawaiian Monk Seal (not as well groomed as they are in a zoo). We collected hundreds of shells an coral. It was the most amazingly perfect week ever!

There is nothing better than a vacation to Hawaii! I'm still trying to convince Josh we need to move there. Keep your fingers crossed!

Please forgive the picture overload, but you have to see it all. Besides, I only pick a few from the 500+ pictures we took. Consider yourselves lucky.

The view from our Lanai.




Papohaku Beach. I think it's three miles long. And we only ever saw one other person on it.

Hawaiian Monk Seal.

The grocery store in Maunaloa Town. So cute!

The view down to Kalaupapa - the Leper colony.



Josh exploring the tide pools at the Moomomi Preserve.

The island of Maui in the background.

The scary price of gas. And only two gas stations on the island. But have no fear - you can also buy diapers, ice coolers, big screen TVs and fresh fruit while you fill up.

Surfers.




Organic Papaya grown at Kumu Farms.

The royal coconut grove, planted by King Kamehameha V in 1860.

The view from the back of the condos.

One of the whales we saw from the beach.

3 comments:

karin said...

I am so jealous. I keep thinking we will go back to Hawaii but then I am expecting and then have a newborn and then expecting (you see the trend). Bryan thinks it would be great to take the boys. I agree, if we take a babysitter too.

wurtz said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

The Nielsens said...

I so need to repent of my envy!!!! Thank you for sharing such Beautiful Pictures. I am definitely ready for another visit.