Thursday, November 15, 2007

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Nicholas


The closer we get to Nicholas 2nd birthday, the closer he gets to the textbook definition of the terrible twos. Here are a handful of phrases that spice up my day.

The Good Nicholas:

"Can I try it?" (I love this one because he always wants to try new food)

"Mommy, look at me! See what Nicholas can do." (He is always doing silly things, like walking on all fours, just to make people laugh.)

"Eliana crying. Need Binky" (This is usually accompanied by a hug)

"Mommy be careful for Nicholas." (He's recently started saying this while I'm driving. I think Josh put him up to it.)

"Can I see it?" (He says this whenever the boys are playing with something. I think it's his way of asking to be included.)

"Oh my favorite!" (He said this at the school book fair as he was running from book to book.)

"Nicholas don't like it." (This may sound like a bad phrase, but he's always polite when he says it, so it goes in the good list.)


Here is where the Mr. Hyde comes out.
(*Note: to get the full effect, all these phrases should be read screaming, with eyes glared and arms folded across chest)
M: Nicholas get off the counter. You're going to fall!
N: "I don't care!"

M: Put your clothes back on.
N: "I not going to!"

M: Nicholas, give Sammy back his book.
N: "Back off!"

M: Nicholas, we need to change your diaper so we can go to the store.
N: "I not going anywhere!"

M: Let's brush your teeth.
N: "Nicholas don't want to!"

M: Mommy needs to wash the apple before you eat it.
N: "Nicholas do it now!"

M: Nicholas, you know you aren't supposed to be in Daddy's office.
N: "Leave me 'lone!"

And if all else fails, he pulls out the big one -- "NO! NO! NO! NO!"

I've been through this twice before, so it should come as no surprise. I was hoping that we would skip this phase. At least I can say that my days are always action packed and full of interesting conversations!

6 comments:

karin said...

I like the nice Nicholas but the bad Nicholas is funny, but I am not his mommy so I can think that.

J & M Shumate Family said...

I am still giggling just thinking about Bad Nicholas. What a funny kid! Aren't the terrible two's just soooooo fun!!!

Eric and Cindy Hansen said...

My favorite... "Back off." He makes me laugh, such a clever little boy! And a very busy Mom!

The Nielsens said...

Where does the "funny Nicholas" fit in...(eyes wide, with a nerdy grin and a silly laugh following his explanation)"I sit in the back seat." Your life is full of so much fun and excitement!!! You are truly one very lucky lucky Mother.

mistyp said...

Was Mr. Hyde out at Hobby Lobby the other day? You're brave to take two little ones there! I only do one at a time unless I have help! ;)

Leah said...

My favorite line is the "Back off" line! I wonder where he's heard that before! How funny! At least he has a good side and it's not just the bad! :)