Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back to School . . .

I join with a million other moms this morning and post about the inevitable end of summer. We're pros at back to school - this is our fifth year of the first day of school. This morning we just fell back into old routines. Tag were ripped off new clothes. Shoes were tied for the first time. Hair was gelled and combed {for the last time if Sam has his way}. Pictures were suffered through.




If I'm honest, I've been looking forward to school. Things at home have gotten increasingly chaotic, and I'm tired of playing referee. I've been eagerly anticipating a quiet{er} house. So it came as quite a shock to me when, watching my third grader sing all the words to the National Anthem, I started to tear up. In that moment I saw Sam's life flash before my eyes and I saw him growing up faster then I was ready for. I suddenly longed to have one more day of summer vacation. One more day of my kids all to myself. One more day of having them safely tucked in our home. One more day to make sure they knew how much I loved them. One more day to enjoy the miracle that they are. And as I watched my big, brave first grader tell me that I could go, I felt envious of the boys' teachers. Envious that for the next nine months they will spend more time with my boys than I will. Envious that they will get to watch the boys grow and discover daily. And for the first time I saw homeschooling in a different light.

So to Sam and Benjamin -- may you have a wonderful year of school. May you conquer the mountains of learning that await you. May you be blessed with wonderful experiences. May your lives be enriched with new friendships. And may you always be eager to come home and share every second of it with me.

6 comments:

Leah said...

Darling post. You are so sweet. I can't believe you have done the first day 5 times. You are quite the veteran! I will say I miss Claire but it is nice to not have to be the referee (perfect word, Rachel) with her and Hallie. It seems the last few weeks have been intensified and I was actually ready for school to start. And no matter what I teach Claire over the summer I still want her back in a classroom learning. I can't do what teachers do. At least while staying sane! ;)

TonyaKuykendall said...

I just want to cry along with you.. How sweet.

karin said...

I got teary and I haven't done the first day of school yet. You have so nicely put into words my feelings about it.

karin said...

Oh, I LOVE the blue/brown of their shirts.

Cheryl said...

Very well said, Rachel! I have done the first day of school more times than I can count and I have felt the very same way each and every year. (How many years has it been since 1984?) Now that I only have Luke, it still strums my heartstrings to send him off for the day.

It is such a thrill for me to see their minds expand and their character develop. I feel like I need to savor each day with Luke as I know that before I can take too many breaths, he will be out serving a mission and Scott and I will truly be alone. It is thrilling yet frightening!

The boys look adorable! I wish the Luke would let me go to school with him on the first day!

Enjoy the journey!

Kimi said...

You made me cry! That isn't nice....I know exactly how you are feeling. Your boys look so grown up.
I too have to agree, it is nice not having to be the referee any more all day long. Now it is only for 5 hours a day or less.
It is so sad to think that my baby girl is all grown up and can do this on her own.
May we as Mom's bond together and be a great support for each other during this school year.
Oh how I too miss my little one!