Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Embracing my inner NERD

We had a theme dinner the other night . . . we've had them before . . . but none that made us laugh so hard. A few months ago, we watched the movie Nacho Libre for the first time. And then we died laughing. There is just something about that movie that gets me laughing every time I think about it. If you don't like it, I don't think we can be friends. {I'm serious}

Anyway, if you haven't seen the movie, there's this one part where they make character salads for the orphans. So we started out our dinner that way. Sam's salad had a caterpiller on it, and Benjamin and Nicholas had happy face salads. Then we had nachos for the main dish {duh}. And for dessert, we had these in honor of all the corn on a stick munching in the show.

I looked around, but I couldn't find any ski masks, it being summer and all. If I had found some, we were going to decorate our own wrestling masks. See, the title of this post says it all - Embracing my inner nerd.

We spent the entire dinner quoting the movies. I'll leave you with some of our favorites . . .

Chancho. When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun.

They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!

Well, my favorite color is light tan. My favourite animal is puppies. I like serving the lord. Hiking, play volleyball...
You gotta be kidding me. Everything you just said, is MY favourite thing to do, every day!

What is this?
Leftovers. Enjoy.
There is no flavor. There are no spices. Where are the chips?
Somebody stole them.
Did you not tell them that they were the Lord's chips?
I was trying to!
You are useless Ignacio!
Silence brothers! This is the worst lunch I ever had.
Your only job is to cook. Do you not realize I have had diarrhea since Easters?
Ok... Maybe I am not meant for these duties. Cooking duty. Dead guy duty. Maybe it's time for me to get a better duty!

Summon your eagle powers.
What do you think I'm doing?
[Losing badly, about to take a big hit] Eagle powers... come to me! Please!

Those eggs were a lie, Esqueleto. A LIE! They give me no eagle powers! The give me no nutrients!
Sorry.
I don't want to get paid to lose. I wanna win!

I am a-singing at the party / I am singing it's my turn to sing at this party / Everyone is dancing, happy party / But Ramses is not dancing he does not dance at the parties / Ramses' number one he knows the secret of desire / Ramses is the one, he puts the people all on fire

Where are your robes, Ignacio?
They were... stinky. These are my recreational clothes.
They look expensive.
Thank you. I mean... they might have the appearance of riches, but beneath the clothes, we find a man... and beneath the man we find... his... nucleus.
Nucleus?

I hate orphans!
Say it to my face!
I hate them!
Come again?
I hate all the orphans in the WHOLE WORLD!

Hug hug, kiss kiss, hug hug, big kiss, little hug, kiss kiss, little kiss.

8 comments:

wurtz said...

I guess we are going to have to see the movie. Sounds like a fun dinner.

Cheryl said...

I have never seen the movie, but I enjoyed your description! We'll rent it and then I'll let you know if we can be friends!!

karin said...

I would have never guessed you a Nacho Libre lover. Sounds like a fun dinner. I should start having theme dinners.

Kimi said...

How fun! What a great idea. I think that movie is so funny too. I died laughing watchin that movie too.

Michele said...

Like Karin, I never would have pegged you for a Nacho Libre fan. Surprise, surprise. The "corn" looks delicious!

Nan said...

Oh my gosh. You sound like such a fun family! I wish I could have had dinner with you!

http://www.shawnanigans.net

Emily said...

Next time you guys have a Nacho Libre night you need to borrow the Mexican wrestling mask Tom brought home from Guadalajara. If you want to borrow it and then buy yourself some nice "stretchy pants" you'd be the hit of the wards' trunk-or-treat this year. Come on Rachel...the primary kids would love it!

Garlic Boy said...

Best movie ever.