Monday, January 28, 2008

A Great Man


I have many memories of President Hinckley. I had the privilege of being in the tabernacle when he was sustained as President of the Church. I camped out many, MANY times at BYU when he came to speak for a fireside or devotional. But perhaps one of the strongest memories I have of this great man was when he came to a regional conference in Alaska. It was almost 13 years ago, and he had been scheduled to come speak at our regional conference for some time. However, when he became the prophet, everyone said that they would send someone else to the conference -- no prophet had ever come to Alaska. But he came. I remember the minute he walked into the room, and instantly thousands of people became silent and stood. It was then that I knew Gordon B. Hinckley was a prophet of God.

One more memory -- Josh and his dad were able to go to the last dedication session for the San Antonio temple. Sam and Benjamin and I waited outside. We were the only people there for quite some time. It was beautiful and peaceful. About 10 minutes before the session was over, people started coming. And they started crowding. And before I knew it, we were behind a large mass of people. I found myself getting very angry. After all, we had been there for so long! I tried to get Sam to the front of the crowd because I really wanted him to see the prophet. But try as I might, I couldn't squeeze past the middle of the herd of people. I told him to stretch really hard and try to see, even though I knew it would be impossible. But someone turned around and said, "let the little boy through" (sounds like something you'd hear in a corny movie, but it's true!), and somehow Sam was right at the front. President Hinckley shook as many hands as possible as he made his way to the car. He saw little Sam standing by himself, stopped and patted him on the head, and then moved on. And I felt a powerful love for that man that he would take a moment to make my son feel like the most important person in the world. I will forever be grateful for that one small moment in time.

"Believe in yourselves. Believe in your capacity to do some good in this world. God sent us here for a purpose, and that was to improve the world in which we live. The wonderful thing is that we can do it." -President Gordon B. Hinckley

3 comments:

karin said...

What great memories! This has made me think about my President Hinckley memories and he really was a great man.

J & M Shumate Family said...

I love you for sharing those sweet stories, especially the one of Sam. It's been a hard and long day for me, but seriously, I teared up!

Andrea said...

The first story started the tears and the second finished the job. I could hardly read the quote. Thank you for sharing. Good stuff.