Monday, January 07, 2008

Star Wars, Nothing but Star Wars


Josh and I nicknamed this Christmas the "Star Wars Year." Without meaning to, we kind of theme shopped and 85% of the presents under the tree had something to do with Star Wars. Which is fine, because all the boys (Nicholas and Josh included) love the movies -- and everything that goes along with it.

So for Family Movie Night on Friday, we decided to do something a little different. I told the boys that we were having a Star Wars night and the details were going to be a surprise. I must have been asked a million times what we were having for dinner. I'm not sure they were asking because they were excited, or because they didn't want to be surprised by the food. Josh picked up Uncle Dan's BBQ on the way home from work. And we cleverly stuck new labels on all the food: Brisket became Boba Fett Brisket, Turkey was Tie Fighter Turkey, Sausage was Yoda Yummies, Green beans were Kit Fisto greens and Baked beans were Ewok Pebbles. For dessert we had Wookie Cookies (giant chocolate chip cookies). Sam and Benjamin got a good laugh out of it, especially when Josh concocted a tale of how he flew his X-wing fighter to Dexter's Diner to get our special order of Jedi food.

After dinner we had a star wars video game tournament. Josh, of course, won. . . But we divided his score by three, so Sam came out the winner. And we ended the evening with an exclusive showing of Star Wars II (for the 4th time since Christmas!)

It was a really fun way to end Christmas Vacation. Which, by the way, I am so glad is over! :) I love my kids, but I've got to tell you -- Sam and Benjamin can create a mess in less than a minute flat! I hate it, but at the same time I marvel at the ability. Now if I could only find some way to channel this force of nature for good . . .

4 comments:

karin said...

How fun and creative! If you find a way to channel that energy, could you pass that along.

Sarah said...

Hey...we had a Star Wars Christmas as well. Lego Star wars on the Wii, lego Star Wars creations, and I gave Sterling all six DVD's. Parker is dying to watch number III, but Sterling is holding out. Almost every morning before school Parker tries to convince me that he should be allowed to watch III and I just tell him to talk to his Dad.

Andrea said...

OK---you guys are the funnest (not a word, but should be in this sentence) parents ever. I was already suspicious but you keep validating.

Kari said...

Arlen's always thought he could make a bazillion dollars if he could harness the energy of our children and use it to supply power to the world!