Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Conversation with Benjamin


This kid is so funny. He comes up with the most bizzare/amazing ideas. It's hard not to laugh when Benjamin is around.

This conversation was prompted by something that I found in his backpack. On the back of a homework paper was written "I know your full name. It's Christy Watley. I know your other full name. It's Christy R*****." (I can't remember it)

Mom: So, Benjamin, why did you write that?
Benjamin: Cause I wanted to tell Mrs. Watley I knew what her name was.
M: You really like Mrs. Watley don't you?
B: Yeah.
M: What do you like so much about her?
B: (Shrugs his shoulders and blushes)
M: Do you think she's nice? I think she's really nice.
B: Yeah, she's probably the best kindergarten teacher ever.
M: Do you think she's pretty? I think she's beautiful.
B: Yeah, she's pretty.
M: I'm glad you like her so much. You are lucky to have a special kindergarten teacher.
B: I'm lucky alright!
M: So what about the other girls in your class? Do you think any of them are pretty?
B: Well, we need to keep this between the two of us, because if any of the girls heard what I was going to say, they would try to attract me.
M: I promise I'm not going to tell any of the girls in your class.
B: Well, I think M is pretty of course. And I think C is pretty, and K and E and one more, T.
M: T has really pretty hair.
B: I guess, but I like her cause she's got the bling.
M: The bling? What is that?
B: It means she dresses with the bling. You know, she dresses appropriately.
M: Dresses appropriately - I don't get it.
B: It MEANS she dresses to attract! Do you get it now?

I already knew he was an early bloomer where girls were concerned. But after this conversation, it's clear that I'm going to have to really keep an eye on him!

6 comments:

karin said...

WOW- he is an early bloomer! And really cute. I love how many girls were on his list.

Kim said...

Wow! You got your hands full Mom!! You better keep your eye on him! I know Sofia really thinks he is a cutie!

Michele said...

He's a guy who's got it all--looks and smarts. And now that he likes girls with the bling, well, what next? Did you ask him what it means "to attract"? I'm so curious what he'd say.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the chuckle! And all that from a kindergartener! Amazing!! It's a lesson to us all that we need to be aware of the bling! Do you dress with the bling??

Very cute!

J & M Shumate Family said...

OK...I am giggling hard! The "dressing with bling" comment was too too funny. I love your little Benj!

Emily said...

I had to pull your blog up so that I could read this story again. It's so funny. My favorite part is Benjamin's use of the word "bling." I love it! I hope you tell him this story when he's older. He might be embarrassed, but his wife will love it!