Friday, April 04, 2008

Happy Birthday Sam!



Yesterday Sam turned 8. I can't believe that eight years has gone by since I held my first baby for the first time. So in honor of Sam's birthday, here are some things about Sam:

1. When Sam was younger, he was incredibly patient. He never cried or was the least bit fussy. He was the perfect first baby.

2. Sam's first word was bear, because he loved to see "Bear in the Big Blue House." His next word was outside, because he loved to look out the window and be outside. Then came Daddy, and about 5 words later came Mommy. When he was a year old, he could say over 75 words clearly. (we should have sensed trouble at that point!)

3. Sam has been a daddy's boy from day one. We used to joke that he only loved me for my food. Even as a baby, he preferred his dad -- he would even reach for his dad immediately after nursing. And to this day, he's still a daddy's boy.

4. Sam was "Sammy" from the minute he was born. He's still called Sammy by most of our extended family. After his first day of Pre-k, he came home and told me that he wanted to be called Sam. It was a little sad for me.

5. Sam has the most incredible imagination I have ever seen. He can come up with the most elaborate games and "pretend worlds" for him and Benjamin to play. He can build the most amazing things out of paper and tape. He never ceases to amaze me with the things he comes up with.

6. Sam likes to be funny. It all started when he was about 2 and I would ask him a question. He would get this silly look on his face and say, "Do-de-da!" For example -- "Sam what is your favorite color?" "Do-de da!" " Sam, what do you want for lunch?" "Do-de-da!"
He still likes to be funny. And sometimes I get frustrated when it's time to be serious, but I do appreciate the fact that he likes to laugh and have a good time.

7. Sam can be a lot of talk, but little action. Like his run in with snakes.
He LOVES everything snakes, but freaked out a little when he saw one. He's the same way with spiders. He laughs at me when I get grossed out about a spider, but he won't go even put on his shoe if it has a cobweb on it for fear that there's a spider around.

8. Sam loves to learn new things. He went through a dinosaur phase when he was 4 or 5, and completely immersed himself in finding out everything there is to know about dinosaurs. He's loved anything science/technology for as long as I can remember. He loves to read anything science related. He loves to share his information too. I admire his passion for learning -- he jumps in with both feet and doesn't stop until he considers himself an expert.

So, happy birthday Sam. May your year as an eight year old be a good one with laughs and learning and many happy memories. We love you!

2 comments:

karin said...

WOW! Eight seems so old. What great things about Sam. My boys are also Daddy's boys- so it never goes it away?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAM!

Cheryl said...

Sam is 8??? That is incredible!

What an awesome post! He will love to have it as a reminder some day!

Lots of love!!