Tuesday, August 28, 2007

First day of School


Two years ago, we dropped Sam off for his first day of Kindergarten. As we pulled out of the parking lot, the tears started flowing. Benjamin wanted to know what all the fuss was about.
b: Mom, why are you crying?
m: I'm just a little sad about Sam starting school.
b: he's not going to be gone forever -- we have to pick him up today.
m: I know, but I'm going to miss him.
b: when I start school will you miss me?
m: of course I will!
b: but will you miss me so much you cry?

So today, my dear sweet Benjamin, as you start your first day of Kindergarten, know that I miss you so much I cried.

I can't believe that Benjamin is in kindergarten and Sam is in 2nd grade! How fast time does fly. And although I was very grateful for the quiet, non-chaotic house this morning after they left, I do miss them -- more than even I thought!


5 comments:

J & M Shumate Family said...

OK...Rach...don't ask me why, but this post made me tear up too! I hate that kids grow up! Your boys looks soooo big. On the other hand, have a SUPER day with your two babies at home! HUGS!

mistyp said...

I'm not looking forward to those first days of school, either!

karin said...

May, I teared up too. There is just something about "babies" growing up that has made me all teary lately. Benj was little when I left and now he is in Kindergarten! I hope you got things done- well at least a nap- while they were at school.

The Nielsens said...

Okay so we are all just a bunch of cry babies. Oh well, good thing we have each other to cry with. I was totally sad and reminiscing today. Just ask Josh. He had to sit their and listen to all my past memories of Say and Benj and Sam and Kye as we waited for morning assembly to start. It seems like just last week when I saw Rach at Carolyn Whites house at a baby shower and Benj was about 2 months. Then of course I thought about all the pre-school days. And now here I sit alone in my house. No more playgroups,preschool. UUUGGHHH. Time sure flys.

Sarah said...

I CANNOT believe Benj is in kindergarten. I remember him as wanting to be a big kid so much...and now he is.

P.S. Something about Sam's big kid teeth make him look just like Josh.