Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Nicholas is NOT happy!

Nicholas, who turns 20 months old today, is very unsure of the changes his life has taken lately. We tried to prepare him for the new baby. We showed him the blankets and clothes for his new baby sister. We pointed out other babies and told him we were going to have one in our house. And we knew that there would be a period of adjustment. But I was not prepared for how he reacted! In the hospital, he wouldn't let me touch him. He wouldn't come to me or talk to me, and he wouldn't even acknowledge Eliana.

We bought him a Blue's Clues toy for a "big brother" gift. When we gave it to him in the hospital, he seemed really excited about it, until we told him it was from baby sister. Then he promptly threw the toy on the floor and didn't want to touch it again. So much for bribing her way into his heart!

Once we got home, he clung to Josh for dear life. If I tried to hold him, he would cry "NO. NO. Want DADDY!!" If we put Ellie any where near him, he would push her away and start crying. Josh went to work back to work yesterday, and it broke Nicholas' heart. He cried, "Nicholas go Daddy's car too!"

Then, overnight, he accepted his fate. This morning, he looked at her and smiled. He said, "Nicolas baby sister." Perhaps all is not lost. . .

5 comments:

karin said...

That is one of my biggest fears about eventually having another baby. I am sure he will love her soon. I LOVE that photo- it really captures what he is feeling.

mistyp said...

Poor little boy! Sounds like he's starting to adjust though. Hope for your sake they become best friends! :)

Stamp With Linz said...

No worries, in no time he'll be dragging her around the room wanting to show her something or hugging her so tight you're a little worried about the air flow. :)

J & M Shumate Family said...

OK..this post made me sad...until I read the last paragraph. I'm glad he accepted his fate. Nicholas had been King for so long...it is hard to step down so easily. I don't blame him for being upset. After all, not only was he no longer the baby, but he also is outnumbered during the day with girls....something that has never happened to him EVER! Jacob acted upset too after Matthew was born. In the hospital he didn't like me either. He said I was sick. When we got home it wasn't the same. BUT, we eventually all adjusted and survived. GOOD LUCK!

Nan said...

Oh my goodness, she is just beautiful! Congratulations!

And I'm sure the little dude will come around in no time. :^)

I've got my first soap contest up!! Yipee!