Friday, September 14, 2007

Nicholas . . . Need I say more?

It's another normal day at the White house. Nicholas and I are playing cars. Eliana is asleep in my room. Life is slow and quiet. Soon enough, I hear the faint grunts of the sleeping girl, and know that I need to respond quickly before the grunts turn to shrieks. So, Nicholas and I go into my room and pick up the baby. I turn on a show to occupy Nicholas so I can change and feed Eliana. Being an obedient toddler, Nicholas sits down to watch Blue's Clues. But as soon as the diaper is off, he jumps up and climbs up the treadmill.

He's clever, this one. He knows that I won't leave an un-diapered child alone. I hurry and put Ellie's diaper on and pull Nicholas down. "Sit here," I command. "I'll be done in a minute." Nicholas smiles at me. "OK Mamma. Ni-Ni sit."

But I'm smarter than that. I know the magic of Blue and Steve is only strong enough to last 5 or 10 minutes. Hoping Eliana isn't too hungry (yeah right), I sit down to feed her. Nicholas asks what I'm doing. I tell him I'm feeding baby sister. He says, "Baby sister eatin' ice cream." "No," I laugh." "Baby sister is eating milk." Nicholas looks again. "No," He says. "Baby sister eatin' Mamma." Feeling oddly uncomfortable, I tell Nicholas to watch his show. But my words fall on deaf ears, as he makes a break for it and runs out the door. What happens next is what ALWAYS happens lately -- he goes to wash his hands. Now what mother would run in a panic if her child wanted to wash his hands? Any mother who sees her 21 month old son perched on the edge of the kitchen sink, both hands in the water, balancing on a cabinet door with his big toe.


And so the death-defying acts continue day after day. I guess that is just what makes Nicholas, Nicholas.

P.S. Just so the third member of our crazy at home trio isn't left out -- here is Eliana at 5 weeks.



8 comments:

mistyp said...

Wow! You do have your hands full with him! I pray Micah doesn't climb that much! She is so cute, too!

Moore Fun Stories said...

I am impressed you had time and the hands to take pictures of the action. You must be superwoman. I love the look of your blog. Very cute.

J & M Shumate Family said...

I love Ellie's pics...gorgeous!!! As for Nicholas, he really is a crazy man....and I thought Matthew was a handful. Just pray for no more trips to the ER!!

J & M Shumate Family said...

p.s. I think Eliana looks like Benj in the pics....what do you think??

Wangsgaard said...

He really is a climber. I fear that Elisabeth will be that way. I love Ellie's head wraps. Do you make them yourself?

karin said...

And I thought I had a climber, Austin just climbs and attacks Adam- but I don't have a new baby either.

I also am impressed with the photos.

THE GREENMONSTERS said...

ahhh Rachel I can't wait to meet her, she just looks so dainty and adorable!

Eric and Cindy Hansen said...

Gotta love boys! He has great climbing skills!